The rapid expansion of Ampangorina highlights the negative impact tourism can sometimes have on local people. As more of the island’s community have switched from traditional farming and fishing to tourist-driven activities, the village population has grown without adequate infrastructure support from the government. The result has been the spread of malnutrition and infectious diseases due to poor hygiene, inconsistent water and electricty supply and lack of waste treatment.
The charity aims to fight endemic infectious diseases, improve the living conditions of local people and contribute to the sustainable and ecological development of Ampangorina.
Arnaud de Gaujac
Project in 2018
Building the foundation for communities and transforming the lives of the poorest and marginalized people is at the heart of Nosy Komba Solidarité’s (NKS) mission. This year, TFWA Care will team up once again with NKS and fund its ongoing project in Ampangorina. The work carried out from the previous years have improved health care, access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene. Step by step, the aid is helping the people of Ampangorina to live better lives by focusing on promoting lasting behavior change.
Together, TFWA Care and NKS will continue to fight poverty, prevent the spread of infectious diseases, child deaths, and provide dignity for those they serve. NKS trained experts will help build and maintain these facilities:
- Aid the construction of sanitation blocks in order to improve hygiene conditions in Ampangorina and its neighboring village of Tamotamo
- Reconstruct an old sanitation block in Ampangorina
- Build a free health clinic in Nosy Iranja to provide basic health and maternity care
- Build roads to link Ampangorina to its neighbouring village of Antitorono
NKS envision a world in which communities and societies become more prosperous, safer, healthier, and environmentally more sustainable. By developing and implementing models for sustainability, it also empowers the local communities to solve their own problems and make a lasting difference to improve their lives.
Project in 2017
TFWA Care teamed up with Nosy Komba Solidarité to support its efforts to fight dysentery and promote better hygiene in the villages of Ampangorina and Antitorono. Last year’s aid contributed a great deal in finding a permanent solution to provide the villagers with access to clean water and basic sanitation. TFWA’s funding enabled NKS to:
- Finished the construction of sanitation blocks in order to improve hygiene conditions
- Renovated the water pipe system to provide access to clean water
- Found a durable system to collect and dispose of daily refuse that is causing a high infant
- Built an accessible and secure pathway to link the two neighbouring villages of Ampangorina and
- Antitorono and keep it free of waste in surrounding areas.